Thursday, November 18, 2010

Sausage Cocktail Squares

These have been a favorite snack of mine since I was a little girl. My mom and my grandma used to make them for parties, Thanksgiving, and sometimes just for fun. We've been making them so long in fact, that I had to ask my mom to tell me their technical name! I always refer to them as "those sausage things" and everyone knows what I mean.


These may appear strange, but after you make them and fall in love, I'll be waiting to accept your full apology for doubting me. If you wanted to bake me some cookies or something too, I wouldn't stop you.


These would be the perfect substitute for sausage balls if you're looking to change it up. We sometimes have sausage balls sitting around to snack on Thanksgiving Day, but these would be the perfect substitute if you want to try something new. The nice thing about this little finger foods is that they can still be enjoyed at room temperature. They are best straight from the oven, but you won't have to worry about reheating them every 20 minutes because they'll taste fine even after sitting out. I'd be willing to be you they won't be around long enough to see room temperature though!

Sausage Cocktail Squares
  • 1 package rye cocktail bread
  • 1lb sausage (spicy, mild, any flavor you like)
  • 1lb ground beef
  • 1 block Velveeta
  • 1T worchesterchire sauce
  • 1t garlic powder

 Directions:
Place sausage and ground beef in a large skillet to brown.
Add worcestershire sauce and garlic powder.
While that's cooking, cut up the velveeta into small cubes and place in large microwave safe bowl.
After the sausage/ground beef mixture has cooked completely, add it to the bowl with the velveeta and microwave in 1 minute intervals, stirring in between, until cheese is completely melted.
Place cocktail bread in a single layer on a baking sheet (you'll likely need 2 or 3 baking sheets).
Place about 2T of the meat mixture on the bread and spread it around to cover the surface of the bread.
Once all the bread has been topped, flash freeze them for 10 minutes. (You can keep them in the freezer until you are ready to cook if you'd like or if you plan to cook them right away, leave them in for at least 10 mins.)
Preheat your oven to broil.
Allow sausage square to broil for 5-10 minutes until the top gets bubbly and brown. Watch them, it happens fast!


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this! My god-grandmother used to make these for New Year's Eve every year until she passed. I haven't had them in years! I think I'll make them this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love new recipes for finger food, especially around the holidays. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete