Monday, November 8, 2010

Pumpkin Muffins

This is one of those recipes that you give people and they go, "Really? Are you sure you didn't leave an ingredient out?" These muffins are comprised of only a boxed cake mix, a can of pumpkin, and a little applesauce. Where are the eggs? Where is the oil? You won't be needing them today! These muffins are actually very low in fat and calories (no, you can't eat the whole batch or that fact no longer applies), and only 2-3 WW Points a piece, depending on how many you make!


I made these cupcakes for some guests I had in my home as well as to take to a friend who recently had a baby. Let's just say, I didn't make enough! Everyone loved them. They were the perfect consistency and they didn't stick to the paper even a little bit! That is one of my biggest baking pet peeves. I absolutely cannot stand it when a cupcake sticks to the liner. I frosted them with store bought cream cheese frosting, which made them fabulous, but if you want to keep the calories down you could use fat free cool whip or just eat them plain. I decorated some with leaf shaped sprinkles...here they are all packaged up and ready to be delivered to my friend!


The method of these muffins can be applied to other cake mixes as well. You could substitute chocolate, devil's food or carrot cake mix for the spike cake. I'm even considering trying it with red velvet cake mix! I'll let you know how that one turns out. Have fun with these!



Pumpkin Muffins
  • 1 box spice cake
  • 1 can pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
  • 1.5C applesauce (use cinnamon if you have it!)
  • 1t pumpkin pie spice
  • optional: nuts or chocolate chips
Directions:
Mix all ingredients together and bake according to packaged directions. If you want a cake instead of cupcakes, this will work with a sheet pan, round cake pans or a bundt pan as well.


5 comments:

  1. Very nice of you to make for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this recipe. I make the Devil's Food and can of pumpkin w/ a little water often. My husband can't even tell there's pumpkin in it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great low fat recipe! It sounds scrumptious and looks easy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember the pumpkin muffin recipe that was just a box of spice cake mix and a can of pumpkin? You made it once when I was at your apt in Richmond forever ago. YUMMMMMM. I make them all the time!

    ReplyDelete