Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Open-Faced Turkey Melt

This turkey leftover recipe wins the honor of my second favorite turkey user-upper, right behind yesterday's pizza. Its comfort food at its finest. This is a good one to have a few days after Thanksgiving because it brings back all the happy feelings of Thanksgiving Day! I like to try to use up my turkey in unconventional ways after the big day so that it doesn't seem like I'm eating the same old turkey and gravy every time. This is basically just turkey and gravy, but reinvented in a different way to trick you into thinking you're eating something new and exciting.


When I asked for a review of this meal after I served it, the answer was "Can we have them again another night this week?" Ding ding ding! You have to love a sandwich that you eat with a knife and fork. That totally puts this sandwich in the "dinner" category if you ask me. I usually have a hard time justifying sandwiches as dinner, but not this one! If you don't have leftover turkey, store-bought sliced turkey would work just fine, as would store-bought gravy. I do prefer homemade gravy, but I swear the store-bought stuff is good too. I hope your family enjoys this meal as much as mine did!


Open-Faced Turkey Melt
  • 4 slices bread (a crusty bread works best)
  • 4 slices provolone cheese
  • leftover turkey (or a few store bought slices)
  • leftover gravy (or a canned gravy)
  • salt and pepper
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.
Place four slices of bread on a baking sheet.
Top with turkey and then add a slice of cheese.
Place in oven for 10-15 minutes, just until cheese melts.
Pour warmed gravy on top of each slice of bread and serve.




3 comments:

  1. Yum! I love open-faced sandwiches, and this looks like a great use for leftover turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks yummy. Too bad I don't have anymore turkey left now. I'll have to save this one for Christmas leftovers. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete