Thursday, November 11, 2010

Pumpkin Turkey Chili

I have always been a pumpkin lover, but its only been this year that I've started to become intrigued by its use in savory dishes. After my pumpkin mac and cheese flop (I haven't decided if its worth posting or not), I was a little hesitant to try this chili recipe. I made a few changes to the original recipe that came from the Whole Food's website, and much to my surprise it was absolutely delicious! If I hadn't told anyone, I don't think they would have known it was made with pumpkin. The pumpkin adds a unique flavor, but the chili doesn't actually taste like pumpkin. It disappeared so fast that I didn't even have time to get a photo! So, here is the photo from the Whole Food's website (this is me avoiding a copyright lawsuit) and its a much better photo than I ever could have taken!

I made this about a week in advance for our Halloween dinner and froze it in a gallon sized ziploc bag. I pulled it out and stuck it (still frozen) in the crock pot and let it simmer on low for 6-8 hours. You certainly don't have to let it cook this long, or use a crock pot at all. It is ready to eat after about 45 minutes of simmering, but cooking it longer certainly won't hurt! If anything it helps the flavors come together.

This was a super easy 'serve yourself' meal. I set out toppings like shredded cheese, sour cream, jalapenos and baked up a batch of Jiffy Corn Muffins to go along with the chili. My (almost) mother-in-law let me in on the secret of adding one tablespoon of sugar to the corn muffin mix, and they turned out delicious! The whole meal was a hit. Don't be afraid of the pumpkin!

Pumpkin Turkey Chili
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 jalapeƱos, chopped (I leave the seeds in because we like the heat! If you don't, remove them before chopping.)
  • 3T chopped garlic
  • 1T olive oil
  • 1 can diced tomatoes (and their juice)
  • 1 pound ground turkey (either regular turkey or turkey sausage works well)
  • 1 can beans of your choice (I used light kidney beans.)
  • 1 can pumpkin
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 2T chili powder
  • 1t ground cumin
  • 1t cinnamon
  • 1C corn
  • Salt and pepper to taste
 Directions:
Saute peppers and garlic in olive oil in a large pot on medium heat.
Once they are tender, add turkey.
When turkey is cooked, add in pumpkin, diced tomatoes, beans, corn, chicken broth and all spices.
Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for at least 45 minutes.  
  

2 comments:

  1. I've made a similar version of this and loved it! Adding the pumpkin was tasty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The name of your blog is awesome/hilarious. This turkey chili looks great! I love taking ingredients that would normally be for something sweet, and making a savory dish :)

    ReplyDelete