Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Crispy Onion Chicken

Around this time of year, you start to see displays of seasonal items in the grocery stores. Items you don't give a second glance any other time of year. Those crunchy little french fried onions, for example. The only time I ever use those is once a year, on Thanksgiving, in green bean casserole. It doesn't make any sense! They are so yummy and available all year round!

So, this year when I saw them start to be displayed I grabbed a can, and then sent them to the back of my pantry to await their green bean casserole destiny. Then a few days later, I picked up a sushi roll for lunch called a "crunch roll" that had crab salad, shrimp, avocado and a spicy sauce rolled in crispy onions. I found it weird and fascinating all at the same time. It also happened to be the best sushi roll I've ever had (and that's a bold statement). I thought if crispy onions tasted good on something as bizarre as sushi, surely they are capable of more than a green bean casserole topper...and what do you know!?
A three ingredient dinner on the table in thirty minutes, now that is my kind of meal! (Garlic-butter asparagus coming soon!)

Crispy Onion Chicken
  • 1lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (I cut them in half for shorter cooking time)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1C french fried onions, crushed (I just do this with my hands)

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 375.
Whisk eggs in a shallow bowl.
Dip on side of the chicken in the egg, and then the onions.
Place chicken, onion side up, in a baking dish. If there are any onion crumbs left, smash them down over the top of the chicken.
Bake at 375 for 30 mins or until juices run clear.

3 comments:

  1. Helllo! Great idea for a coating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chicken looks delicious. It is perfect for breading, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. bookmarking for a rainy day :>
    Hi from Allyson's hubby

    ReplyDelete