Friday, October 8, 2010

Zucchini Chips

I love chips. All kinds. In fact, I don't know if I've ever met a chip I didn't like. Unfortunately, they don't like me back...just ask my thighs their opinion on the matter. In an effort to get more veggies into my diet (and less chips), I pulled out this recipe I made a while ago and revamped it a bit. Holy cow are these things good!



Now, you know I'm the queen of all recipes "easy," and this recipe only has a few ingredients, but you might be thinking "hey, that recipe looks like it takes some work!" It does, but just a little, and the end result is so worth the effort. You have to believe that if I say its worth the effort...its worth. the. effort. These things are so addictive, just like potato chips! Even kids will be begging for them, just ask my son who said, and I quote, "Mom! These are SO GOOD! Can I have some more?" What 8 year old boy says that about zucchini??

You can make these ahead of time and flash freeze them for a few minutes, then store them in a ziploc bag in the freezer until you're ready to cook them. However you decide to make them, make two batches, or you'll wish you had!



Zucchini Chips

2 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/8-1/4 inch slices
1/2C plain bread crumbs
1/2C panko bread crumbs
1/4C grated parmesan cheese
2 eggs (or 3 egg whites)
1/4-1/2C flour
1/2t garlic powder
1/2t salt
1/2C marinara sauce
cooking spray

Directions
Preheat oven to 450
1. In three separate shallow bowls (I find pie plates work well) put flour in one, eggs (slightly beaten) in another, and the panko, bread crumbs and cheese in the other.

2. Cover a large sheet pan with foil and place a baking rack on top.

3. Start a little assembly line for your zucchini and dip them in the flour, egg, and then panko mixture.

4. Place chips on baking rack, not touching each other.

5. Bake at 450 for 25-30 mins or until golden brown and crispy.




7 comments:

  1. YUM! If I had everything here right now I would make these for breakfast! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you going to make them for me? You know that even when things are worth it, they don't get made in my house. lmao

    ReplyDelete
  3. We make fried zucchinis too and we accompany them with tzatziki. I am sure yours taste as great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too make zucchini chips. They are so yummy and make a great appetizer :)

    The Souper

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look awesome, I love zucchini chips! I like your blog, the name is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog! Not only did the BBQ nachos actually make football season sound less painful, I thourghly enjoy your writing style. And good God I can't wait to make these!

    ReplyDelete