Monday, October 18, 2010

Spiced Butternut Squash

I took a cue from the name of this squash when I was thinking of ways to prepare it.
Butter. Nuts.
Sounds good to me! And holy butternuts, was it good. I've really been excited lately by all the ways vegetables can be so delicious. I've been trying to include more fresh veggies in my diet and between this dish and Zucchini Chips a couple weeks ago (and kale chips coming up!), I'm feeling very inspired by the potential veggies have!


I'm not going to lie to you though, peeling and cutting butternut squash is a real pain in the ass. I am actually one of those weirdos who enjoys chopping things up in the kitchen, but the skin of this particular squash is really tough and difficult to peel and cut into. I've seen them sell precut cubes of butternut squash in the store and if you aren't as cheap as me, you might want to just take advantage of that convenience. Actually, I think my fiance might cough up the cash next time, seeing as how he had to spend an hour fixing the disposal that I broke by shoving squash peels down there. So, make sure you don't do that.

In the end it really was worth it though, this squash is so sweet and delicious. I almost felt like I was serving candy with dinner. think pecan pie meets pumpkin pie. Its like a side dish of dessert!

Spiced Butternut Squash
  •  4C chopped butternut squash
  • 1/4C chopped pecans
  • 3T brown sugar
  • 1/2t pumpkin pie spice
  • butter flavored cooking spray (or regular butter if you aren't concerned with calories!)
Directions:
Place squash in a microwave safe container and cover with plastic wrap, leaving a small opening to vent.
Microwave for about 5 minutes until squash is tender.
Spray a skillet with butter spray and turn heat to medium.
Add squash, brown sugar, pecans and pumpkin pie spice.
Saute squash for 10-15 minutes.




2 comments: