Thursday, October 7, 2010

Shepherd's Pie Meatloaf Muffins

I've been making Meatloaf Muffins for many years now. Its a recipe I acquired back when I started the Weight Watchers program. Those following the program enjoyed this recipe particularly because of the ease of portion control and the low points value. Long after I stopped doing WW, I continued making these muffins because low calorie or not, these things ROCK!

Recently, I was talking to my good friend Jamie (also a long-time lover of meatloaf muffins) about the start up of my blog and the brainstorming of new recipes, and she suggested that I feature Meatloaf Muffins with mashed potatoes on top. Genius! We usually have mashed potatoes on the side when I make these anyway, why not combine the two? Then I thought, with a sprinkle of cheese on top they would be almost like mini Shepherd's Pie's! And so, today's recipe was born.

If you're interested in making the traditional Meatloaf Muffins, you can do so by following the same recipe, omitting the mashed potatoes and cheese, and putting a dab of ketchup on top instead. I made half and half with this batch, but I posted the recipe as all Shepherd's Pie muffins. Try it however you like! Either way, I promise you are going to be making this again and again!

Does he look like a happy little guy!?


While the traditional meatloaf muffins don't look terribly appetizing,
I promise they are absolutely delicious!

One big happy family!

Shepherd's Pie/Meatloaf Muffins
(serves 12)

To make traditional meatloaf muffins, omit mashed potatoes and cheese and put 1t of ketchup on the top of each muffin before baking.

1lb ground beef or turkey
1 package Stove Top stuffing
1 egg white
1/2C water
1.5C prepared mashed potatoes (shhh, I won't tell anyone you made them from a box if you won't!)
3/4C shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375
1. Mix together first 4 ingredients until well incorporated. Its time to get your hands dirty!
2. Divide the meatloaf mixture between 12 muffin cups.
3. Spread 2T of mashed potatoes on top of each muffin.
4. Top with 1T of shredded cheese.
5. Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes, until center is no longer pink.

6 comments:

  1. I'm featured!!!! Woohoo! And now I'd like a meatloaf muffin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you send me your address? IM COMING OVER!!!! lol :) YUM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, this is a must to make :) Shepherd's Pie Meatloaf Muffins. How clever. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    The Souper

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never made them in a muffin before. This would be fun to do for when guests come over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are perfect and just the right portion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete