Thursday, October 14, 2010

Amazing Pork Tenderloin

I am convinced that a woman invented the slow cooker. It just makes the most sense. You can't tell me that a man would have the forethought to create a machine that allows you to start dinner hours in advance when they don't even know the meaning of the word "plan." If you left dinner plans to a man you wouldn't be eating dinner...or you'd be eating Domino's every night.

Thankfully, I do the dinner planning around here (and a big thanks to the woman who created the slow cooker!). How cool is it when dinner basically cooks itself?! I find this notion particularly appealing on a Sunday when I'm feeling especially lazy.


Although, if you had come to dinner Sunday night and tried this pork you would have thought (after you insisted on hugging me) that I spent all day slaving! The aroma that will fill your house while this cooks is heavenly. The pork was perfectly cooked and the sauce (technically "au jus")....oh, the sauce. You might want to just pour a tall glass of it to drink with dinner. Just look at it. Even cheap wine couldn't ruin it!


Although, since it calls for 3/4 cup of wine, it leaves the rest of the bottle for you to enjoy with your meal! Not that I'm advocating drinking a whole bottle of wine. Not me. I definitely would never encourage that type of behavior. But, you have all that wine just sitting there, and these days people can't afford to be wasteful. I'm just sayin'...

This dish was perfectly complimented by a heaping pile of spiced butternut squash. So good, its like eating dessert and dinner at the same time. But you'll have to stick around for that recipe, its coming next week!

This recipe came from Allrecipes.com and the link can be found below. I note the changes I made and my suggestions.

Amazing Pork Tenderloin
1 (2 pound) pork tenderloin
1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
1 cup water
3/4 cup red wine
3 tablespoons minced garlic
3 tablespoons soy sauce (After reading the reviews, I used 2T because some commented that is was too salty. Next time I'll only use 1T because it was still a tad salty for my taste, but very good!)
freshly ground black pepper to taste
Directions:
Place pork tenderloin in a slow cooker with the contents of the soup packet. Pour water, wine, and soy sauce over the top, turning the pork to coat. Carefully spread garlic over the pork, leaving as much on top of the roast during cooking as possible. Sprinkle with pepper, cover, and cook on low setting for 4 hours. Serve with cooking liquid on the side as au jus.

2 comments:

  1. When are you coming to cook for me? Oh, and I am in love with butternut squash. Don't tell blake. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I love pork tenderloin! I also love my crock pot! :) Great recipe- thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete