Monday, October 25, 2010

Chicken & Rice Skillet

This meal is what I like to call a "leftover round up" recipe. I basically took a few ingredients I had sitting around, mixed them together, and bam - dinner was born. I did a basic chicken and rice version, but on any given day I could have also had corn, mushrooms, peas, spinach, broccoli or other vegetables sitting in my fridge that would have been great additions to this casserole. I wasn't even expecting to post this recipe on the blog because honestly, I didn't have high hopes for its outcome. I didn't think it would be bad, but I didn't think it would be "blogworthy" either. Boy, was I wrong! This ended up being so delicious, you have to give it a try!

Now, its not "pretty," but a casserole's job isn't to be pretty, its to taste great...and this one does!




Chicken & Rice Skillet
  • 2C cooked rice (I used one cup of wild rice and one cup of white rice. Any rice will do, but I really love wild rice. If I'd had two full cups I would have used all wild rice.)
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • 1 can cream of chicken (or mushroom) soup
  • 1/2C fat free sour cream
  • 1C 2% shredded cheese
  • 1t garlic salt (or 1/2t of salt and 1/2t garlic powder)
  • cooking spray
  • any other veggies you want to add!
Directions:
Cut chicken into bite size pieces.
Put a large skillet on medium high heat and add chicken and garlic salt. Saute until chicken is browned.
Add in all other ingredients until well incorporated, and serve!
If you like that crunchy, cheesy "casserole" top, you can put it in a baking dish and pop it under the broiler for a couple minutes.

2 comments:

  1. ok I gotta tell you- That was one of my favorite things to do with leftovers as a teen growing up. I always made stuff like this!! YUM! I think this is a great post to remind people to get creative with leftovers! THANKS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog good post of recipe.
    Thanks for share.

    Regarding.
    Andhra Style Recipes

    ReplyDelete