Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Calzone

No, this is not an episode of Seinfeld. But I do love that one!

Being Italian, I have always been a lover of all things bread and pasta, which you will probably notice if you stick around for a while. I often find when I'm meal planning, that I have inadvertently chosen pasta or bread based meals for every single dinner. What can I say, its in my DNA! Who am I to argue with science? I have always been very fond of calzones, but unlike most other common Italian dishes, I've never attempted to make them myself. I should have tried sooner because they were super easy and absolutely delicious!

 The beauty of a calzone, especially if you live with picky people (yes family, I'm talking about you) is that you can cater to everyone without having to be a short order cook! All you need to do is round up everyones favorite ingredients and throw them in. This is a great meal to involve the kids in too, its so easy they can fill their own calzones. That's what I'm talking about, earn your keep! ;-)
  
I made a basic pepperoni calzones, but other suggestions for fillings are ham, sausage, hamburger, chicken, peppers, mushrooms, spinach, a variety of cheeses...basically the possibilities are endless. Be creative!
Calzones 
  • 1 can store-bought pizza dough, thin crust
  • 2C mozzarella cheese
  • 1C ricotta cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4C parmesan cheese
  • pepperoni or other fillings
  • marinara sauce for dipping
 Directions:
Unroll pizza dough (it will be rectangular) and cut into 4 equal sections.
Mix together cheeses and egg in a bowl.
Scoop about 1/2C of the mixture onto each square of dough, keeping it contained mostly to one side.
Add your fillings.
Fold dough over, lining up the corners.
Starting on one side, pinch the dough together and use your fingers to fold the bottom layer slightly over the top and press down.
Bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. I love making these! Great way to involve kids too- or child-like BF's lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to see that you put ricotta in the calzones. That is how I always had them growing up but apparently not a lot of people eat them like that. I usually see them with the fillings, mozarella cheese and the sauce on the inside.

    ReplyDelete