Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Cheddar-Beer Fondue

Raise your hand if you've ever gone to The Melting Pot and paid an arm and a leg to cook your own food? I'll admit it, I've been. More than once, even. But in my defense, the second time I went was years after the first and I'd forgotten what a rip off it was.


 Don't get me wrong, I love the whole fondue meal process. It's a fun way to eat dinner. But its something that can be replicated at home very easily, just as delicious, and at a fraction of the price. If I'm spending $100 on dinner I want someone else to cook it, pleaseandthankyou.


I found this recipe and played around with it shortly after my second encounter with The Melting Pot, and couldn't believe that I actually made fondue that (in my opinion) was better! Don't panic if you don't have a fondue pot. Neither do I. Its funny actually, I used to have a really nice one. I used it once and then it sat in a cabinet for years collecting dust until I got rid of it, and now I'd really like to have it back! But a saucepan works just as well, the only difference is that it doesn't look as fancy. And hell, if you want fancy, I hear The Melting Pot is taking reservations. ;-)

Cheddar-Beer Fondue
  •  1 lb. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 1 tbsp. flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
  • Dash cayenne (or add a dash of hot sauce to the melted mixture)
  • 3/4 c. beer
  • 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • Dippers!
Some of my favorite dippers:
Bread, soft pretzels, bread, carrots, apples, broccoli, bread, cauliflower, sauteed mushrooms, cooked potatoes, bread, tortellini, cubed ham, sausage links...did I mention bread???

Directions:
In bowl, combine cheese, flour, mustard and ground cayenne; mix to blend well. In fondue pot, combine beer and Worcestershire sauce. Set temperature at 375° and heat until bubbling. Gradually add cheese mixture and stir constantly until cheese melts and mixture is smooth, about 5 minutes. Reduce temperature to 200° and serve with crusty bread cubes or other dippers. If you don't have a fondue pot, follow the same instructions using a saucepan over medium heat on the stove.


3 comments:

  1. ok my funny fondu story was a do it at home version a couple of years ago that ended up a total pig out session and then I threw up! lol My lactose intolerant tummy said NO MORE CHEESE! lol

    Sounds good though...maybe if I paced myself. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got my fondue pot last week and we've had it twice already... But my boyfriend keeps asking for the cheese course! LOL I cant' wait to try this. :)

    ReplyDelete