Monday, October 4, 2010

Tortellini Alfredo

Well my friends, today is an exceptionally special day. Today I am sharing with you one of my all time favorite recipes, and quite possibly my very favorite of all time. Yes, its that serious. Glad I have your full attention now. This concoction is one of my own creations, although the sauce is based off an Olive Garden copycat recipe for alfredo sauce. Believe me when I tell you, this will blow. your. mind. Now, this has the potential to be a relatively healthy dish...I mean it contains spinach, after all! But for every ingredient in this recipe, there is a much healthier alternative, which I will note. I, however, am going to share this recipe with you in most of its full fat glory. When I make this dish I do use low fat substitutions for the cream cheese and the butter, and can't tell much of a difference. Its definitely a dish that's meant to be enjoyed in moderation if you're watching your waisteline, but its so worth indulging in once in a while.

You might think that tortellini is an interesting option for an alfredo dish, after all isn't it tortellini's cousin 'fettucini' that usually gets all the alfredo glory? I used to be of the same mindset that these two were destined to be together. But then I tried making this dish using tortellini in an effort to make it more "finger food friendly" for my toddler, and we ended up absolutely falling in love with the result and I've never used any other pasta since! So before you ask, you can certainly use any type of pasta you like - but I'm telling you right now:

T-O-R-T-E-L-L-I-N-I.

Got it? Good!

Tortellini Alfredo

18 oz cheese tortellini
10oz fresh spinach
1 pint heavy cream (or fat free half and half)
1 stick of butter (I use light butter)
3T cream cheese (I use nuefchatel)
2/3C grated parmesan cheese
1t garlic powder

Directions:

1.Place one stick of butter in a saucepan on medium heat until melted.

2.While thats working, get started on cooking the tortellini according to directions on package. When its finished drain and place back into pot.

3. Once butter is melted, add in cream cheese and whisk until smooth.

4. Next add your cream and garlic powder keeping the sauce on medium low heat, whisking occasionally. The sauce will need to simmer about 20 minutes.

5. Microwave or steam spinach until wilted and mix into the tortellini until well incorporated.

6. After the sauce has simmered for 20 mins, add in the parmesan cheese and stir to combine.

7. Once sauce is smooth, pour over tortellini and toss to combine.

1 comment:

  1. That's such a great recipe indeed.I love this dish.Nice recipe.
    Tortellini recipes

    ReplyDelete