Thursday, February 10, 2011

Colorburst Birthday Cupcakes!

Happy Birthday to my baby girl who is two today! It's so hard to believe how fast the time flies for us mommies, but it sure does go quickly. Sniff.


In honor of my big girl, I made these special cupcakes, a recipe I've been eying for a while now from one of my favorite blogs, Our Best Bites. They turned out wonderful and I'm told they didn't taste too bad either.


I'm not going to lie to you though, these cupcakes require serious commitment. It took a lot of time, and unless its someones dying wish, I'm not sure I'll make them again. Almost as challenging as Christmas Sugar Cookies. Not challenging in the way of the recipe itself, they were just very tedious and time consuming. But, whatever makes my little ones happy, I'll do (once)!


Just a couple tips if you do plan to make these. The instructions given on the website are really well written and explained. I followed them exactly and got perfect results. The cupcake part is just a doctored up cake mix, with some yogurt added to make them nice and moist.


If you want to do a more striped look (shown on the website) you'll have to work harder for it. You have to spread each layer of color out evenly. I attempted to do one pan of striped and one pan of what you see above. Kind of a tye-dye effect, which is achieved by simply plopping colors in the muffin cup randomly. This method was more my style and didn't take as long.


The frosting for these cupcakes is the real kicker. Its unlike any frosting you've probably ever made or tasted. It starts with a flour and milk mixture heated until thickened on the stove, and then cooled and whipped with butter and sugar. A word of warning, if you don't have a stand mixer, don't even attempt this. You have to beat the icing for 7-9 whole minutes. Crazy! But, I figured if someone was willing to go through this much trouble for frosting it has to be good, and it is!


So, there you have it! Colorburst cupcakes. I haven't shown them to the birthday girl yet because she'd never be able to hold off on devouring them until tonight, but I just know she's going to love them!


Recipe found here:  Colorburst Cupcakes

3 comments:

  1. Those look awesome!!

    The icing is interesting. Is it more like a butter cream consistency?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these- so bright and festive! I know the birthday girl will love them.

    ReplyDelete