Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

Ladies and Gentleman, I'm about to blow your mind. I know you probably think I've totally lost my marbles at this point after reading the post title today. When I first heard about this recipe from my friend Jamie (go say thanks to Jamie on her blog!) I thought it was impossible. No way will that be good. Well, it is. Really really good. Like, the week I first tried it, I ate pizza every night for dinner. Don't judge.


Now, I'm not going to lie. You're going to have to want this one. It takes a tiny bit of effort, and a food processor. I know, you're very confused. This blog is supposed to be filled with recipes you can make in your sleep. The bonus is that if you rice a whole of head cauliflower (I had a huge one), you could potentially get six to eight cups of "dough" to work with. That means you could potentially get four or five pizzas out of this recipe! You could even freeze it for future use.


Sometimes (okay, fine, most of the time) when I make this, I eat the entire pizza by myself. The points are phenomenal, the crust by itself is a mere 1+2, if you know what I mean, and topped with zero point veggies its a huge bargain. Although at those points you can afford to put just about anything on it! I am just over the moon with excitement about this recipe and I really hope that even though it sounds weird, you guys will give it a chance. I promise you won't be disappointed!


Cauliflower Pizza Crust
  • 2C riced cauliflower
  • 1t garlic salt
  • 1/2t italian seasoning
  • 1 egg white
  • 1/2C reduced fat mozzarella cheese
  • toppings of your choice, also remember if you add more cheese on top to count it!

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425.
Cut cauliflower into small chunks and pulse in food processor until rice like consistency is met. It should look almost identical to rice.
Place in microwave safe bowl (after ricing) with plastic wrap on top and microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Mix cauliflower with remaining ingredients.
Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray and form mixture into desired shape (spray it WELL, it has a tendency to stick).
Make sure its not too thin, somewhere around 1/4 an inch thick.
Bake for 15 minutes until slightly browned.
Remove and add your sauce and toppings.
Bake for another 5-10 minutes to melt cheese and cook toppings. You can also broil it at this stage if the edges of the pizza are looking too dark.

13 comments:

  1. That's a great idea. I have used caulifower several time but not in this way. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, you did just blow my mind! I'll definitely be trying this one. It sounds almost too good to be true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Might be a stupid question, but do you steam/cook the Cauliflower first before "ricing" it?

    We LOVE Cauliflower in this household and will be trying it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. we are trying this tonight with all organic stuff. So excited. not going fast enough though

    shannon

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm saving this recipe! What a great way to up your vegetable consumption. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Judy - You steam it AFTER ricing it. HTH!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Vittoria-so you include the 1/2C mozzarella in the crust? Then add whatever cheese/toppings/sauce you want on top?

    How many pts. is just the crust? All you have to count is the cheese inside the crust, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mattie, yes you include everything listed in the crust. This recipe is for the crust only, you will need to calculate points for anything extra you add to it. The points for the crust is only the cheese, nothing else "counts." Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whaa, Whaa WHAT!

    Holy cow. I had completely written off pizza for good because gluten free pizza crusts are just absolutely ridiculous in points.

    So this is low points AND gluten free? You, lady, are a GENIUS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI, I AM NEW HERE, BUT JUST WANTED TO LET EVERY ONE KNOW THAT I HAVE MADE THE CAULIFLOWER PIZZA AND IT IS REALLY GOOD. ALSO AFTER THE DOUGH IS COOKED CUT THE DOUGH INTO TRIANGLES AND MAKE NACHOS. I HAVE ALSO DONE THIS , AND IS VERY GOOD

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to make this! I'm a new follower from Pinterest.

    april@Party of Five and Meals For Real

    http://www.westerhold.blogspot.com
    http://www.mealsforreal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. use parchment paper instead and you'll have a crispy pizza crust and it won't stick either. also makes great taco shells, hot dog buns and YES a tasty brownie! :-)

    ReplyDelete