Thursday, December 9, 2010

Sweet and Sour Meatballs

As I go along my little blogging journey, I am amazed at all the simple things that I've never attempted cooking before. In all the years I've been experimenting, some of the most basic things have eluded me. One such item being, the meatball. My friend Judy recently asked about making breadcrumbs from real bread (a task I've only attempted a couple of times due to my lazy nature) and told me she planned to use them for homemade meatballs.


Since starting the blog, I find myself on high alert for possible new items I can experiment with. When Judy said meatballs, my blogging light bulb went off. She shared her basic recipe for making meatballs (thanks, Judy!), which I've only tweaked a little. This is more of  recipe suggestion for the meatballs, but the possibilities with these are endless...you could use them for spaghetti, on salad, as appetizers, meatball subs... I personally enjoyed several of them right out of the oven, when no one was looking. I'm really excited about the success of my first homemade meatball attempt, so you'll be seeing lots of fun twists on meatballs in the very near future!

 This sweet and sour sauce is not my original creation. You've probably made or at least heard of this combination, I think its as old as time. Its most commonly made in the crock pot with the meatballs tossed in and served as an appetizer or a snack. I'm basically doing the same thing here, but serving the meatballs and sauce over rice to turn it into a meal! This was so tasty and everyone cleaned their plates!


Sweet and Sour Meatballs
  • 1.5-2lbs lean ground beef
  • 2t montreal steak seasoning
  • 2T Worcestershire sauce
  • 2T ketchup
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2-3/4C breadcrumbs (you may have to add more or less)
  • 1 bottle chili sauce
  • 1 jar grape jelly
  • optional: rice to serve with meatballs and sauce (I used brown rice.)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375.
Mix all ingredients until well incorporated.
Roll into balls and place on a baking sheet.
Bake for 20-30 minutes until done.
Heat chili sauce and grape jelly in a large pot until warm, toss in meatballs and simmer until coated.
Serve over rice or with toothpicks for an appetizer.

3 comments:

  1. Hubby and I love these meatballs and my mom usually makes them for Christmas....thanks for the wonderful reminder....enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. Thanks for the shout out...but yours look soooo much better. MOUTH IS WATERING LOOKING AT THE MEATBALLS OVER RICE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great, nice job here! I also have a bowl that is the twin of your plate.

    ReplyDelete