Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Christmas Brownies

Brownies may possibly be my favorite sweet treat. Oh, who am I kidding, I could also say that about red velvet cake or chocolate chip cookies, or peanut butter bars... The truth is, I have an insatiable sweet tooth! I experimented with these brownies in an attempt to Christmas them up. Cookies usually get the Christmas glory, but what about brownies? This is a super easy treat to whip up in no time. Impress your co-workers or your kids' teachers (or yourself, I won't tell)!

No one has to know they came from a box, especially when you'll be adding a couple semi-homemade twists. As far as I'm concerned, if you add one thing to a boxed brownie/cake/cookie mix, it becomes your own creation, and you may therefore claim credit for making it from scratch. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! Peppermint extract transforms these brownies into a lovely winter treat, and the addition of cream cheese frosting and Christmas sprinkles almost make them so cute you won't want to eat them! Almost. They are delicious without the frosting, but go ahead and indulge...its Christmas!



Christmas Brownies
  • 1 box brownie mix (Trader Joe's Truffle Brownie mix is to die for!)
  • 1t peppermint extract
  • cream cheese frosting
  • Christmas sprinkles
  • optional: chocolate chips

Directions:
Prepare brownies according to package directions, stirring in 1t of peppermint extract.
Allow brownies to cool (tip: You can cut them when they're hot if you use a plastic knife, I swear its a great trick!).
Frost with cream cheese frosting and add sprinkles!


Post linked at:
Real Food
Healthy Home Economist
Food On The Table

3 comments: