Monday, January 10, 2011

Ham and Swiss Party Rolls

I struggled with an opening line that would truly express my intense love for these party rolls, and wore my backspace key completely out. You see, when I get really excited about something, I lose my ability to write coherent and intelligent sentences, and instead everything comes out like a high school cheerleader (which I happened to be once upon a time, so maybe that explains it). I'll come up with gems like,  "Oh em gee you guys, these are totally the best thing ever!" Or, "These party rolls are like, so super fantastic that I, like, did cartwheels while eating them and stuff!"


 
Yeah. I told you it was bad. Then I came up with this: After testing these party rolls out, I decided that coming soon on the Pie Hole will be a new section that will house my top ten favorite recipes. If you know me at all, you know how painfully difficult this will be for me to do, but this recipe has convinced me that not only does it deserve a place in this list, its the reason I am even willing to come up with one in the first place! How's that for getting my point across? (Don't expect to see the Top Ten anytime soon though, I do have a little wedding thing going on this weekend.)


I'm telling you guys, bring this to the next pot luck you have at work, and your boss will be putting you up for a promotion the next day. Make them for your boyfriend, and he'll probably propose. I don't care when or why you make them, just make them! Promise.




Hot Ham & Swiss Party Roll

  • 1 cup butter (*I cut this amount in half, I refuse to use butter in this quantity for ONE recipe!)
  • 1/4 cup onion, minced
  • 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
  • 24 small dinner rolls
  • mayonnaise
  • 24 slices thin slices deli ham
  • 24 slices thin slices Swiss cheese
Directions:
Line two 9 x 13-inch baking pans with non-stick or regular foil.
Prepare marinade: Saute onion in butter over low heat until onion is soft. Add poppy seeds, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and brown sugar. Stir until brown sugar is melted into the sauce. Remove from heat and stir in parsley. Set aside.
Slice the buns in half. Spread bottoms of buns with a thin layer of mayonnaise. Fold ham slices to fit the bottom of each bun. Repeat with Swiss cheese slices, folding to fit buns. Replace bun tops. Place ham and cheese buns into prepared baking pans. Pour marinade evenly over both pans of buns.
Cover tightly with foil. Refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 350°. Bake marinated buns covered for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.
Makes 24 appetizer sandwiches.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you need words to describe how goof these are because the photos say it all. These look down right delicious. I love how the cheese is just oozing over the side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, you are pushing these aren't you, well I will print the recipe because you have me convinced and the fact that they are mini means my Little girl will love them.

    ReplyDelete