Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Mini Banana Muffins

I've never been much of a "from scratch" girl, especially when it comes to baking. Every once in a while I'll get crazy and try to make a yeast bread or a cheesecake from scratch or something, but those ventures almost never turn out as intended. (And no, I'm not referring to the time I left the sugar out of the Raspberry Cheesecake I made for Valentine's Day. We don't talk about that.) Yet I keep trying in hopes that one day I'll master this thing called baking. Sigh...

When I found this recipe for Banana Bread I knew it was meant to be because there are only 7 ingredients in this recipe! Seven ingredients is all I need to create the perfect banana loaf (or muffin) completely from scratch? It had to be too good to be true. I'll save you the suspense...it wasn't! And bonus, you probably already have most of these ingredients on hand, including those bananas that are going bad on your counter.

I've made this recipe many times, as bread and as muffins. I'm sharing it with you today in mini muffin form, because I just heart anything that comes out of a mini muffin pan. I'll be honest, I have no idea how many mini muffins this makes...about a bazillion. We'll just call it a bazillion. I'll also confess that I can't remember where this recipe came from. Is "somewhere in internet land" too vague? Since it made so many, I froze a large portion of them and pulled out a couple handfuls each day to serve the kids for breakfast, and they were still fantastic after being unthawed. If muffins aren't your thing (who do you think you are!?) then just make this in a loaf pan, its just as good!




Banana Bread/Muffins

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter 3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 1/3 cups mashed overripe bananas
Optional: mini chocolate chips or nuts (just throw in a few handfuls, you can never have too much chocolate or too many nuts!)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350

Spray muffin tin (or loaf pan) with non-stick cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt.

In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar.

Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended.

Stir banana mixture into flour mixture.

Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 20-30 mins (60 to 65 minutes for bread), until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.

2 comments:

  1. YUM! I have a Weight Watchers recipe for Banana bread- and I should make it in these mini muffin cups for better portion control! lol Thanks for the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete