Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Cream of Crab Soup

I'm really into soups this Winter, so you'll probably be seeing a few more before warm weather hits. Although, I hear it could get up to the high 60's around here this weekend! Regardless, I still think you should whip up this soup for your family and friends.

I posted a photo of this meal on Facebook the night I made it (yes, I Instagram my food sometimes, zip it!), and instantly got many pleas for the recipe. Well friend, I'm hear to tell you it tastes 100 times better than it even looks or sounds. Seriously tasty soup here. I didn't come up with this recipe and since it was my first time attempting it, I followed it mostly to the letter. I don't say this often, there's not much I'd change! (I noted what I did change below.)

I also made Red Lobster knock-off Cheddar Bay Biscuits to go with it (to die for!), and the entire meal was simply PERFECT. I'll be posting the recipe for the biscuits next week, so stay tuned!



Cream of Crab Soup

1 lb. lump crab meat
1 pint half and half
1 pint milk
1 cup seafood stock (This proved tricky to find, I had to get it at Fresh Market. You could use chicken stock, but I'm not sure how it would affect the flavor.)
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup flour
1 small onion, diced (I omitted)
1 stalk celery. diced (I omitted)
1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
1 tsp. Old Bay

2T chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste

My suggestion, if needed to thicken (I prefer a thicker soup):
Mix 1T of cornstarch with 1T cold water and mix to combine. Add to soup and continue to simmer until thick. You can use additional batches of this mixture until desired consistency is reached.

Instructions:

1. Melt butter, add flour and stir continuously in a large heavy pot on low heat, until smooth. (about 5 minutes) Add onion and celery and continue to cook and stir for 5 minutes.

2. Slowly add seafood stock and seasonings and stir until thickened, and simmer for 5 minutes.

3. Stir in half and half and milk. Add crab meat, parsley, and seasonings, and cook on medium until thoroughly heated through, but do not boil.







Credit: http://cajundelights.blogspot.com/2011/08/sinful-bayou-crab-cakes-cream-of-crab.html















1 comment:

  1. I'd like to invite you to join our site www.erecipe.com . I really enjoy your blog and recipes and I think the over 8,000 unique daily visitors to eRecipe will too.
    By joining eRecipe, we will provide the Nutrition Facts for every recipe you post in which you could customize and add to your blog. Viewers need and love to know the nutritional facts. Its a free service that we offer to blogs and recipes we really love. It looks professional and your members will love it.
    Simply visit www.erecipe.com or contact me at erecipe00@gmail.com. We look forward having you in our network!

    ReplyDelete